A non-practicing membership is available as an option only at registration renewal for current registered social workers (RSWs) and non-practicing members who will not be engaged in the practice of social work in Newfoundland and Labrador as defined by the Social Workers Act (2010) due to retirement, unemployment, extended leave or residing in another jurisdiction. Employment in a related or unrelated field does not qualify for non-practicing membership. Non-practicing members are not eligible to use the title social worker, registered social worker or to engage in the practice of the profession in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Individuals renewing as non-practicing members would complete online renewal through MyNLASW including submission of the $150 annual fee.
A non-practicing membership can be maintained indefinitely for those not seeking a return to active practice.
BENEFITS OF NON-PRACTICING MEMBERSHIP INCLUDE:
- Ability to return to active social work practice in accordance with the re-entry to practice requirements outlined below,
- Affiliation with the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW),
- Receipt of all NLASW electronic updates and Connecting Voices newsletters,
- Opportunity to contribute to the work of NLASW through membership in a variety of committees,
- Access to free continuing education events organized by NLASW and CASW.
2020-21 ONLINE RENEWAL NOW OPEN FOR CURRENT MEMBERS
The MyNLASW online portal is now accepting renewals from current members for the 2020-21 registration year. The renewal deadline is February 15, 2020 (midnight Island time). The following is a reminder of the online renewal process:
- Log into MyNLASW.ca using your NLASW number and password. A forgot my registration number/password option is available on the login screen.
- Renewal is broken down into easy to follow steps. Clicking 'next' at the end of each step will save any details that have been inputted and take you to the next step in the process.
- You will have an opportunity to review and edit information before the final step which is payment of fees. Online payment options include Visa or MasterCard.
- Once you click 'save and submit' on the payment step, you will receive an email confirming that your renewal information has been received. When your renewal has been processed, you will receive official confirmation via email with a tax receipt. The Member Search feature on the NLASW website will also be updated automatically upon processing.
NON-PRACTICING MEMBERS RETURNING TO ACTIVE SOCIAL WORK PRACTICE:
As required under the Social Workers Regulations, re-entry to practice requirements for non-practicing members with no membership lapse are as follows:
|Non-Practicing Membership||Requirements to Return|
|1-3 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members can return to active social work practice at any time without additional educational requirements|
|3-5 years as a non-practicing member||Non-practicing members who have been non-practicing for more than 3 years but less than 5 years can return to active social work practice by submitting 40 credits if non-practicing for 4 years and 80 credits if non-practicing for 5 years as per CPE Policy statement. These credits can be completed at any time throughout the 4-5 year period that an individual has maintained a non-practicing membership.|
|5 years or more as a non-practicing member||Successful completion of the Association of Social Work Boards Exam is required. Exam details are available by clicking here.|
One year is equivalent to one registration year. The registration year runs from March 1 to February 28 of any given year.
All non-practicing members returning to active social work practice complete the online application through MyNLASW including submission of the $250 fee in addition to requirements outlined in the table above.